Blood donation

Today, I donated blood in Israel for the first time. Before I went, Aryeh told me that there is a big shortage now so I felt better about going but they should have really publicized that fact. The turnout was kind of pathetic. It was going on for five hours so it's possible that I went at a slow time but I didn't get that feeling. It's also possible that most people give at work because I have no clue if they organize those things at the offices here like they do in the States. Even so, in Baltimore, when our shul organizes these (twice a year) we get far better turnout. Or it could be that people just look at their leaders who seem to feel that there is no great need to donate. I got a couple emails about the blood drive but they need to get the word out on the street. The shuls in the neighborhood should all be making announcements and signs should be posted in the schools. I came home and told Shira that so she felt guilty enough to go. She usually feels sick after giving blood so she hasn't tried in a few years but she figured she'll give it one more shot.

The experience is different than it is in the States. First of all, they don't read all the questions about what drugs you took but you fill it out before you go up to them. Then there are three separate stations to 1. check your blood pressure, 2. check your hemoglobin 3. check the paperwork. Actually hemoglobin was supposed to go before blood pressure but I went out of order.

Then we went into the backroom to donate blood. Glenn Reynolds posted pictures last year when he donated blood and I was jealous of the cushioned chair that he got. What I got there though was a lot more comfortable than what they give here. They don't have chairs that recline but just flat beds so you have to be flat on your back the whole time. I didn't find that very comfortable. At least they gave me a pillow. They also don't spend a lot of time bandaging it when you're done. They just put a piece of tape over the bandage that was covering the needle. Overall, it wasn't bad. The people from Magen David Adom and the volunteers from the shul were very nice and helpful. Compare the picture from Instapundit to this picture and you can see why I was jealous. The lady is the one who took my blood.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations for donating, and for some world-class kvetching.

Anonymous said...

I can still remember when I donated blood in Erwtz Yisroel. I almost fainted. Nothing to drink etc. Jerks

David said...

They did have drinks this time. Overall, it was a fine experience just different. I am a little bruised this time and I don't remember bruising like this after donating in the States (I've probably donated 20 times or so).

Gilly said...

Good job! Last time I donated I got a pint of Ben and Jerry's in return for a pint of blood. Can't give any more though because I'm originally from the UK and I'm suspected of mad cow's disease!

Rivka said...

did it hurt you never told me that you did that good thing we have a bloug

ADDeRabbi said...

i also got bruised bad this time. rarely if ever happened in the states. biggest disappointment is no free t-shirts. i love free t-shirts from giving blood.
and getting mitz paz after giving blood is also a disappointment. it's totally 'lishmah'.

Anonymous said...

i've never been bruised. i do get rejected often, since they don't like low hemaglobin in israel. also, if you admit to having spent time in the UK, they won't lety ou post.

(for 1500 hits, this is an awful low number of comments...)